Smart growth starts with smart planning.
If we plan for sustainable and human-centred development we can minimize development conflicts. Smart planning saves time, money, and above all it reduces stress.
Smart growth starts by designing places where people want to live: dream communities instead of dream homes.
- Start with walkable neighbourhoods, or an “urban village” that has just about everything you need within walking distance.
- Connect neighbourhoods within a larger town or city that provides specialized services for the community.
- Integrate compatible employment opportunities within residential areas and create accessible business zones.
- Develop efficent transportation options with special emphasis on cycling and transit.
- Protect significant lands, including farmland, recreational greenspace and nature.
Principles of Smart Growth
Courtesy of United States Smart Growth Network, here are the ten main principles of smart growth (the links take you to their descriptions):